
So time passed. Neal was not making much progress but then after about a week and half they took out his feeding tube! His feeding tube menu consisted of Ensure, which is an old persons drink that gives you all of the nutrients that you need with out having to chew. In the whole 7 year of our marriage up to that point I was not able to get Neal to gain weight. He weighed a whopping 155 pounds, which isn't that fun when I always weighed more than him while pregnant. So I played a little trick. I told the nurses to feed him 24 hour a day. And they did, he had the Ensure drip going all the time and sure enough Neal came out weighing 170!
But back to the story, Neal got the tube out and was given the wonderful delicacy of pureed food. Let me describe the art of pureed food. First, take whatever the rest of the patience are eating in the hospital, put the entree in the blender, add water, frappe and serve! Neal's first meal was.... wait for it..., wait for it..., fish! Let me tell you, nothing bets pureed fish! You all should try it! Especially after not eating any real food for 10 days. The double nasty thing about it was that if he didn't eat it they threatened to put the feeding tube back in. So Neal diligently ate it, along with a pureed roll (which when pureed makes it dough again) and a side of pureed veggies (remember your baby food days) Notice that you can not buy fish as a baby food option! With good reason.
I just read this post to My beloved Neal, and asked him if he thought it was funny, His reply..."um, I was listening, really, but see out my window, there was this squirrel and it jumped, sorry what did you say again?" Such is the life of a women whose husband had a stroke! And maybe even if they haven't.


Ok I know the fish story is probably so sad but we're laughing hysterically. Sorry Neal :)
ReplyDeleteI wasn't laughing, I wanted to leave the room, but instead I dutifully fed it to him, with encouraging words like, "Just one more bit, your almost finished." Now I find it very humorous.
ReplyDelete